A Bigger Bang: Combining Conversational AI and RPA- Hyperautomation
As automation technologies mature, powerful new synergies are emerging as automation technologies are combined. This is the case with conversational AI and robotic process automation (RPA).
Extending business process automation beyond the confines of individual processes is called Hyperautomation. Combining conversational AI with RPA is one of the most promising avenues of Hyperautomation and is applicable to a wide range of business use cases that can yield dramatic results.
As Forbes notes, “Conversational AI sets the stage for a groundbreaking advance— namely the ability to leverage back-end RPA tools, applying AI and machine learning (ML) to service-oriented functions in a natural language dialog flow through the omnichannel.”
To date, conversational AI has been deployed mostly in the form of chatbots on web sites for customer service applications, while RPA’s main use has been to automate repetitive back-office tasks.
Moving forward, the scope of these technologies is widening as conversational AI and RPA are combined to automate more varied and complex business processes across all areas of a business—including HR, accounting, supply chain, manufacturing, financial planning, and customer service.
How It Works
A combined conversational AI and RPA system uses speech and text recognition to trigger actions. The AI component can use natural language processing (NLP) and optical character recognition (OCR) to recognize, parse, classify, and understand meaning and sentiment in speech or text, then pass a required action to an RPA system for execution.
Intelligent process orchestration can be employed to create workflows and collaborative solutions among systems and workers. Dashboards can be created that give knowledge workers business intelligence and robotic assistants at their fingertips to surface information, analyze data, assist in decision-making, and trigger automated actions.
For example, a customer service agent at a dashboard can pull up customer information and trigger RPA bots to perform routine tasks such as mailing forms, approving claims, and sending refunds. A financial planner can use conversational AI and an RPA assistant to search for information, organize reports, test various planning scenarios, and collaborate with colleagues.
Self-Learning Systems Add Value
An advantage of AI systems is their ability to monitor, analyze, and discover further process improvements over time. Besides increasing efficiency and reducing costs, AI-based systems will work tirelessly on your behalf to discover ways to improve operations.
One way in which an AI-based RPA system can discover opportunities for improvement is by creating a digital twin of your organization. A digital twin can surface and make visible previously unseen interactions between processes, enabling new processes and workflows to be established and further efficiencies to be gained.
A Galaxy of Applications
Conversational AI and RPA systems can take many forms. Besides applications like HR and financial planning that span all industries, the use cases for combined conversational AI and RPA include industry-specific applications, such as:
- Financial services—Transfers, trades, loan origination, card activation, payment processing, fraud claims discovery.
- Healthcare—Billing, record administration, pre-op and post-op monitoring, report automation, system reconciliation.
- Insurance—Claims processing, eligibility verification, remittance, reporting.
- Manufacturing—Process control, supply-chain management, material and component acquisition, inventory management, order reconciliation, transportation, invoicing.
- Public sector—Permits, licenses, benefits applications, report generation.
- Telecommunications—Billing, installation, service, maintenance.
- Energy and utilities – Customer engagement, billing, outage response, change management.
- Retail—Customer assistance, product selection, gift recommendations, how-to information, returns, refunds, reward programs, specials planning and execution, analyze trends, reduce inventory, maximize sales.
- Life sciences—Drug and medical device R&D, application preparation, trial analysis, compliance management.
A Plethora of Benefits
A combined conversational AI and RPA system can speed operations, reduce error, eliminate manual labor, and lower costs. Added benefits are 24x7 availability in all geographies and elimination of time-consuming and expensive training of human agents.
Other benefits of combined conversational AI and RPA include the ability to:
- Eliminate barriers and bottlenecks—Working together, conversational AI and RPA can search, analyze, cross-check, and process data among disparate systems and enable the integration of systems and processes.
- Process complex data—Intelligent automation tools capture, store, manipulate, and retrieve records from unstructured sources.
- Eliminate errors—AI bots can analyze processes to maximize accuracy and reduce the number of exceptions.
- Bolster security—AI bots can monitor networks, assess threats, transmit alerts, and trigger responses to attacks and security breaches.
- Enforce compliance—Ensure adherence to government regulations, industry standards, and best practices.
- Increase customer satisfaction—When used together, conversational AI and RPA systems can enhance the ability to resolve queries and problems, assist in buying decisions, upsell and cross-sell, and personalize engagements.
- Free employees from repetitive and tedious tasks –Enable employees to devote time and energy to higher-value business activities.
As Gartner reports, combining RPA and AI technologies enables your organization to break new ground by automating undocumented processes that rely on unstructured data inputs. Through the deployment of conversational AI and RPA, you can establish the skill base and Hyperautomation foundation that will position your organization to reap the benefits of further integration of automation technologies going forward.
Why Roth Automation for Conversational AI and RPA Hyperautomation?
Roth Automation’s expert consultants and engineers have years of experience designing, deploying, and optimizing business automation processes. Our uniquely qualified specialists can assist you in accruing the maximum efficiency and cost-reduction benefits that can be gained by combining conversational AI and RPA.
To learn how your organization can benefit from conversational AI and RPA Hyperautomation, speak with our expert consultants today.